Three men were gunned down at the Hilltop Grocery store between McKinney and Princeton in the early morning of May 11, 1974. The murders would soon be connected to a fourth man found dead in Waco the day before. The killer, Robert Excell White, would later become known as the "Dean of Texas Death Row," the longest-serving prisoner on death row in Texas history at the time.
1. “Excell the Executioner” faces second murder trial. (1987, June 8). UPI Archives. Retrieved from https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/06/08/Excell-the-Executioner-faces-second-murder-trial/2042550123200/
2. Execution Report: Excell White. (n.d.). Texas Execution Information Center. Retrieved from http://www.txexecutions.org/reports/173-Excell-White.htm
3. Hoppe, C. (1992, March 24). $2.3 MILLION TO BURN: IS THIS JUSTICE? Chicago Tribune. Retrieved from https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-03-24-9201270383-story.html
4. Livingston v. State. (1976, October 6). Retrieved from https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/court-of-criminal-appeals/1976/52139-3.html
5. A man who spent 12 years on Texas’ death... (1987, June 15). UPI Archives. Retrieved from https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/06/15/A-man-who-spent-12-years-on-Texas-death/9759550728000/
6. Robert Excell White. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://murderpedia.org/male.W/w1/white-robert-excell.htm
7. United States Court of Appeals,Fifth Circuit. WHITE v. JOHNSON. (1998, August 26). Retrieved from https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1350366.html