Iraqi refugee Ahmed Al-Jumaili is murdered day after arriving in his new home in Dallas, Texas. Was his murder a random act of violence or a hate crime? Erin and Shea discuss how true crime is viewed through a lens of current events in this devastating story from 2015.
1. CAIR: Council on American-Islamic Relations. Retrieved from https://www.cair.com/
2. Cardona, Claire. 2016. Trial Begins for Teen Accused of Killing Iraqi Refugee While He Enjoyed First Snowfall. Dallas Morning News. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/05/18/trial-begins-in-teen-accused-of-killing-iraqi-refugee-while-he-enjoyed-first-snowfall.
3. Dallas police rule out hate crime. (2015, March 13). BBC News. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31877923
4. Fisher, M. (2015, March 7). The murder of Ahmed Al-Jumaili in Texas should be a front-page story. Vox. Retrieved from https://www.vox.com/2015/3/7/8165583/ahmed-al-jumaili-killed-texas
5. Goins, D. (2016, May 18). Trial begins for man accused of killing refugee playing in snow. ABC WFAA 8. Retrieved from https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/trial-begins-for-man-accused-of-killing-refugee-playing-in-snow/287-202117387
6. Hameed, Y. (2015, March 10). Ahmed Al-Jumaili fled Iraq to escape Isis, only to be gunned down in Dallas, Texas. As a Muslim, his murder terrifies me. The Independent. Retrieved from http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ahmed-al-jumaili-fled-iraq-to-escape-isis-only-to-be-gunned-down-in-dallas-texas-as-a-muslim-his-10097387.html
7. Murder of Ahmed Al-Jumaili: Press Conference and Arrest Warrant. (2015, March 13). Retrieved from https://dpdbeat.com/2015/03/13/murder-of-ahmed-al-jumaili/
8. NYKERION NEALON, Appellant vs. THE STATE OF TEXAS, Appellee . No. 05-16-00612-CR IN THE COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE FIFTH DISTRICT OF TEXAS AT DALLAS, TEXAS. (2016), 55.
9. Nykerion Nealon v. The State of Texas Appeal from 265th Judicial District Court of Dallas County (memorandum opinion). (2017, July 11). Retrieved from https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/fifth-court-of-appeals/2017/05-16-00612-cr.html
10. Obeidallah, D. (2015, March 11). Another Muslim Is Killed Is America. Anyone Care? The Daily Beast. Retrieved from https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/11/another-muslim-is-killed-in-america-anyone-care
11. Paul, J. (2015, March 13). Wife Of Iraqi Native “Relieved” Shooting Suspect Caught. CBS DFW 21. Retrieved from https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/13/wife-of-iraqi-native-relived-shooting-suspect-caught/
12. Queally, J. (2015, March 6). Killing of Iraqi man in Dallas sparks concern over possible hate crime. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-dallas-police-iraqi-victim-2015030-story.html
13. Sherlock, R., & Malouf, C. (2014, June 11). Iraq refugees: scarred and desparate, the families fleeing the tide of terror. The Telegraph. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10893814/Iraq-refugees-scarred-and-desparate-the-families-fleeing-the-tide-of-terror.html
14. St Claire, P. (2015, March 8). Dallas cops want help in Iraqi man’s shooting death. CNN. Retrieved from https://www.cnn.com/2015/03/06/us/man-shot-watching-first-snowfall/index.html
15. Steele, T. (2016, May 24). Dallas teen gets 38 years for murdering Iraqi immigrant who was enjoying first snowfall. Dallas Morning News. Retrieved from https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/05/24/dallas-teen-gets-38-years-for-murdering-iraqi-immigrant-who-was-enjoying-first-snowfall/
16. To Ahmed’s Family with Love: Ahmed Al-Jumaili Memorial & Family Fund. Retrieved from https://www.launchgood.com/project/to_ahmeds_family_with_love
17. Warren, D. (2015, March 11). Family: Iraqi Man Killed in Texas Sought to Improve His Life. NBC 5 DFW. Retrieved from http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Family-Iraqi-Man-Killed-in-Texas-Sought-to-Improve-His-Life-295926231.html
18. Warren, L. (2015, March 13). Dallas police arrest suspect in shooting dead of Iraqi newlywed. The Daily Mail. Retrieved from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2993401/Police-arrest-suspect-murder-Iraqi-newlywed-Ahmed-Al-Jumaili-36-shot-dead-Dallas-just-three-weeks-arriving-U-S.html
19. Withnall, A. (2015, March 10). Ahmed Al-Jumaili death in Texas: Iraqi immigrant shot dead watching first snowfall was “indescribably” happy to receive asylum in the US. The Independent. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ahmed-al-jumaili-death-in-texas-iraqi-immigrant-shot-dead-watching-first-snowfall-was-indescribably-
Podcast Recommendation of the Week: Murder City